The perfect picture depends on the subject and backdrop. If you are outdoors in a scenic environment, it is easy to get fantastic photos. If you are taking photographs indoors, it requires a bit of creativity to get the right backdrop. You have the option of buying one. The other alternative is to bring out your sewing machine, some fabric, and create your own.
In my post, I will guide you on how to create the perfect backdrop. It is fun, cost-effective, and, most importantly, gives you flexibility with the final designs.
Creating Backdrops for Your Photo Shoot Using Fabric
You have several options available regarding the type of fabric you can use for your backdrop. Muslin and canvas are the most popular. They are portable, and you can be as creative as you wish due to the varieties available. Fabric is durable and easy to keep clean with a simple wash.
You will especially love the color and depth, which you can get from canvas backgrounds. They are, however, a bit heavier than muslin, which mainly consists of cotton. Muslin is durable and easy to drape in the case that you do not have a frame.
Considerations to have in mind when choosing your fabric include:
- The color will set the mood for the pictures. You can go bright, subtle, or consider complementary colors.
- Texture to add some dimension. Be careful though, too much texture may distract. Cleaner backdrops work better.
- Size depending on what you are photographing. The smaller the subject matter, the less material you will need. You should, however, create a backdrop that does not limit you in any way.
- Design – small designs end up looking cluttered. Go for larger patterns or plain.
- Thicker fabrics let less light through, making them more ideal. Be careful about materials that reflect light, because they will affect the quality of the picture.
- The budget will determine the kind of fabric you get. You are better off investing in high-quality material so that you can use it for a longer time.
Steps to Sewing the Backdrop
What you will need:
- Sewing machine. Don’t have one? I like shelikestosew.com for their reviews.
- Material – you can use a king-sized sheet
- Matching thread
- Iron – to remove any wrinkles
- Tape measure
- Sewing pins
- A frame on which to hang the backdrop
Steps to Follow
- If you are using a sheet, the edges will already be in place.
- Create a fold that you will feed into the frame.
- Fold one side, taking into consideration the size of the rod you will fit it into.
- Use the pins to hold the fold in place.
- Alternatively, iron the fold into place.
- Now, using the sewing machine, make the fold permanent.
- You can now feed it onto the frame.
If you do not have a frame, use hooks to put up the backdrop against the wall.
Cut down on your photography budget by creating your backdrop. With the right fabric, sewing machine, and a little time, you can create your backdrop. Best of all, you can have as many as you wish, allowing you to vary your background to your heart’s content.